I see a lot of new movies every year. So many that I become a strong supporter of many performances and advocate for much artistry. Because of this, I like to expand my personal awards to welcome top tens – and even then ten may be too small a number to speak of the great films and performances I see in a year. So here are my 6 through 10s of the year with a few honorable mentions if necessary. I’ll also expand my favorite technical categories (film editing, cinematography & original score) to fit this custom.
Also, for the following post (the top fives) it will have been my fifth year in which I hosted my own personal awards in some way, shape or form. It’s only been since late 2005 that I’ve been invariably immersed in cinema and only since late 2006 that I’ve followed award seasons and shaped my own sad little ceremonies commemorating who I found the best of the year. (I also go by US release to make matters easier when talking about things like these).
For a complete list of the films I’ve seen that were Oscar eligible/had their US release click here.
THE BOTTOM HALF
06. True Grit
08. Four Lions
09. The Tempest
Honorable mentions: Shutter Island & Lebanon.
BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
06. Martin Landau – Lovely, Still
07. Sean Penn – Fair Game
08. Casey Affleck – The Killer Inside Me
09. Riz Ahmed – Four Lions
10. Leonardo DiCaprio – Shutter Island
Honorable Mentions: Matt Damon in Hereafter, Jakob Cedergren in Terribly Happy, Jim Broadbent in Another Year, Brian Cox in The Good Heart, Christian Bale in The Fighter & Paul Giamatti in Barney’s Version.
BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
06. Julie Sokolowski – Hadewijch
07. Hailee Steinfeld – True Grit
08. Anne Hathaway – Love and Other Drugs
09. Katie Jarvis – Fish Tank
10. Giovanna Mezzogiorno – Vincere
Honorable Mentions: Zoe Kazan in The Exploding Girl, Lesley Manville in Another Year, Marisa Tomei in Cyrus & Lola Creton in Bluebeard.
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
06. Bill Murray – Get Low
07. John Hawkes – Winter’s Bone
08. Matt Damon – True Grit
09. Jonah Hill – Cyrus
10. Joel Edgerton – Animal Kingdom
Honorable Mentions: Mark Ruffalo in The Kids Are All Right, Yvan Donat in Lebanon & Armie Hammer in The Social Network.
BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
06. Amy Adams – The Fighter
07. Keira Knightley – Never Let Me Go
08. Greta Gerwig – Greenberg
09. Michelle Williams – Shutter Island
10. Jemima Kirk – Tiny Furniture
Honorable Mentions: Aggeliki Papoulia in Dogtooth & Dianne Wiest in Rabbit Hole.
06. Julie Taymor – The Tempest
07. Ethan and Joel Coen – True Grit
08. Bruno Dumont – Hadewijch
09. Roman Polanski – The Ghost Writer
10. Darren Aronofsky – Black Swan
Honorable Mentions: Henry Joost & Ariel Schulman – Catfish, Banksy – Exit Through The Gift Shop, Ye Lou – Spring Fever & Catherine Breillat – Bluebeard.
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
06. Animal Kingdom (David Michod)
07. Soul Kitchen (Fatih Akin/Adam Bousdoukos)
08. Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold)
09. Enter the Void (Gaspar Noe)
10. Blue Valentine (Derek Cianfrance)
Honorable Mentions: Go Get Some Rosemary.
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
06. The Ghost Writer (Richard Harris)
07. The Tempest (Julie Taymor)
08. How To Train Your Dragon (William Davies, Dean DeBois & Chris Sanders)
09. Spring Fever (Feng Mei)
10. I Love You Phillip Morris (Glenn Ficarra & John Requa)
No honorable mentions.
BEST ENSEMBLE CAST
06. The Tempest
07. Another Year
09. Shutter Island
10. Soul Kitchen
06. The Tempest (Stuart Dryburgh)
07. The American (Martin Ruhe)
08. Wild Grass (Eric Gautier)
09. True Grit (Roger Deakins)
10. All Good Things (Michael Seresin)
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
06. Welcome (Nicola Piovani)
07. Animal Kingdom (Anthony Partos)
08. Wild Grass (Mark Snow)
09. Inception (Hans Zimmer)
10. Ondine (Kjartan Sveinsson)
The top half is soon to come…